Summary of Steady State: Notes from 'Our Way Out' by Marq De Villiers
I chose to read this book because I am focused on options we have for the future. I turned to his chapter on steady state economics first and found that his summary provided an excellent handle on the subject.
Here is my quick summary information from the book Our Way Out by Marq De Villiers.
The steady requires three basic things:
- a sustainable scale for the economy
- a Fair distribution of income and wealth
- an efficient allocation of resources
A steady state also includes:
- a constant population
- a limit on total Manufactured goods
- a sustainable standard of living for the maximum population (defined by vote)
- the lowest feasible throughput of resources
Three institutions needed to maintain a steady state:
- policies to help stabilize the human population (and others)
- a mechanism, perhaps taxation, to level income and wealth
- one to set depletion quotas and taxes